ENGLISH — HONOURS
Full Marks: 65
The figures in the margin indicate full marks.
Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words
as far as practicable.
- Answer the following questions : 1×5
(a) Name the narrator in Agatha Christie’s The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.
(b) Who is Blessed Lightning in Tintin in Tibet ?
(c) Mention the character who refuses to laugh and smile in Abol Tabol.
(d) Name the two kittens that Alice plays with in Lewis Carroll’s Through the Looking-Glass.
(e) Which character is a combination of duck and porcupine in Abol Tabol ?
Answer the following questions (within 600 words).
- (a) How effective is Poirot in solving the mystery in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd ? 15
(b) Agatha Christie is a remarkable storyteller. Assess her narrative skills in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd 15
- (a) Describe some features of the fantasy world as found in Lewis Carroll’s Through the Looking- Glass. 15
(b) Comment on the symbols employed by Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking-Glass. 15
- (a) Tintin in Tibet celebrates the bonds of friendship. Discuss. 15
(b) How significant is the role played by the Yeti in Tintin in Tibet? 15
- (a) The poems of Abol Tabol have serious intentions beneath the fun and laughter. Discuss. 15
(b) Comment on the title of any three poems of Abol Tabol. 15
English – English
Calcutta University Official website Calcutta University