PHILOSOPHY — HONOURS
Full Marks : 65
Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words
as far as practicable
[ English Version ]
The figures in the margin indicate full marks.
- Answer any ten questions (Choose the correct alternative from the alternatives in each question) :
(a) Social philosophy is
(i) Objective (ii) Normative
(iii) Social science (iv) None of these.
(b) Which is the smallest unit of society?
(i) Association (ii) Community
(iii) Family (iv) Group.
(c) Marriage is an
(i) Community (ii) Institution
(iii) Association (iv) Social principle.
(d) Family is a
(i) Secondary group (ii) Primary group
(iii) Out group (iv) Intermediate group.
(e) Who is the supporter of Organic theory regarding the relation between individual and society?
(i) Hobbes (ii) Locke
(iii) Rousseau (iv) Spencer.
(f) How many ashramas are recognized in Hindu religion?
(i) Two (ii) Four
(iii) Three (iv) Five.
(g) Who is the exponent of Scientific Socialism?
(i) Freud (ii) Marx
(iii) Taylor (iv) More.
(h) Who is the exponent of Economic Determinism?
(i) Marx (ii) Freud
(iii) Spencer (iv) Taylor.
(i) Who is the exponent of Dialectical Idealism?
(i) Marx (ii) Hegel
(iii) Freud (iv) Spencer.
(j) According to Marx, the surplus-value is enjoyed by
(i) Labourer (ii) State
(iii) Capitalist (iv) Common people.
(k) Which one is pure democracy?
(i) Direct democracy (ii) Indirect democracy
(iii) Liberal democracy (iv) Socialistic democracy.
(l) The ultimate form of class-struggle is
(i) Revolution (ii) Oppression
(iii) Democracy (iv) None of these.
- Answer the following questions briefly (any five) : 5×5
(a) Distinguish between association and institution.
(b) What are the essential elements or characteristics of a family?
(c) How is society compared to an organism in the Organic theory regarding the relation between
individual and society?
(d) Is Indian society secular? Discuss.
(e) Discuss about the nature of social change.
(f) What is Satyagraha?
(g) What is meant by Trusteeship?
(h) What is democracy? Explain the Ideals of democracy.
Answer any two questions.
- What is meant by community? What are the bases of community? Discuss the difference between
community and association. Is correctional home a community? 3+6+3+3
- ‘The history of all hitherto existing societies is the history of class struggle.’ – Explain and examine this
statement by Marx. 10+5
- Critically explain the idealistic theory regarding the relation between individual and society. 15
- What is Representative democracy? Discuss the characteristics of Representative democracy. In this
connection, distinguish between Direct democracy and Representative democracy. 3+6+6
Philosophy – Philosophy
Calcutta University Official website Calcutta University